The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors could make a big move Tuesday as it considers whether to pull more than $300 million in funding away from the region’s beleaguered homelessness services agency.
The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority — or LAHSA — has been under fire in recent months after several audits showed the agency had failed to track billions in homelessness spending, and could not adequately account for what city and county taxpayers received.
Late last year, Supervisors Lindsey Horvath and Kathryn Barger introduced the motion that will be heard by the full board today Tuesday, April 1) during its regular meeting, which starts at 11 a.m. (more detail on how to attend or watch below).
If the motion is approved, it would mean the end to county funding for LAHSA and the beginning of a new county department to oversee homelessness programs. Funding would shift to the county by July 1, 2026.
The vote comes after a hearing last week in federal court, where Judge David O. Carter scolded L.A. officials for their failure to track spending on homelessness, called for a forensic audit to look into allegations of fraud and abuse, and warned that the court may order a third-party to take control.
“This is a slow train wreck,” Carter told the officials, adding he would not be complicit by doing nothing to change the situation.
Here are five takeaways from the court hearing:
1. The judge is pushing for a new audit
During the hearing, Carter asked for a new audit of LAHSA that would look into where money from taxpayers in the city of L.A. went for homelessness programs like the mayor’s Inside Safe initiative.
Carter said that if the city doesn’t agree to a forensic audit, he would consider drastic measures like ordering a…
Read the full article here